The health issues facing our city have real and very significant costs. At Small Places, we focus our solutions and design our agricultural spaces to maximize the impact we have to improve the quality of life of our communities and reduce the overall costs to the system.



Social Determinants of Health

Research shows that Clinical Care — the things traditionally viewed as “Healthcare” such as access to health insurance and quality hospitals, etc. — only account for about 20% of our health outcomes. The other 80% of health outcomes are determined by Socioeconomic Factors, Physical Environment, and Health Behaviors collectively known as the Social Determinants of Health. Health is very different from Healthcare which is why costs continue to increase and yet our health outcomes continue to decline.



Growing Impact

Small Places focuses on the 80%, utilizing agriculture to impact the factors in our neighborhoods that determine our health outcomes. The combination of Socioeconomic Factors and Built Environment alone account for 50% of Health Outcomes, meaning that the zip code where you live is both the problem and the solution, demonstrating that in our communities small places matter.



Our experience of what it means to be healthy is too often a negative one - don't do this, don't eat that. We want to reframe health in a positive light to demonstrate that being healthy can be fun, social, and delicious adding to our quality of life while reducing health costs.1



Building meaningful relationships and strong connections are essential to a healthy and resilient community. Through a number of educational, cultural, and outdoor activities, our farms will impact how our neighborhoods interact with each other and the places they live.



Agriculture is a large contributor to greenhouse gasses and to climate change. We are intentional about how our agricultural systems and practices affect our environment and aspire to ensure all of our farms contribute to a larger solution to environmental issues.